Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Chinese Chicken with Cashew Nuts Recipe

 I have a new recipe for you to try. I got this recipe from a library book to help control the sugar intake for myself and my husband.

Chinese Chicken with Cashew Nuts


I know the photo isn't the best, but these are the items you will need for this recipe. There is one item missing and that is garlic. This is what you will need:

1/4 cup lite soy sauce (I only had regular)

1/4 cup rice vinegar

1/4 cup dry sherry (you can use chicken broth)

2 tablespoons fresh ginger or 2 teaspoons ground ginger (I used ground)

3 medium cloves garlic, crushed (I used a big teaspoon of minced)

1/2-pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut tint 1/2-inch pieces

2 teaspoons sesame oil

1 medium red bell pepper, sliced (1 cup)

1 teaspoon cornstarch

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I didn't use this)

1/4 cup unsalted cashew nuts

2 scallions, sliced (green onions)



1. Mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, sherry, ginger, and garlic together in a small bowl. Add chicken and marinate while you prepare the other ingredients. As you can see, I put all this into a Ziplock bag.


Here are my green onions and red pepper sliced and ready to go.


I decided to chop my cashews a little, so they weren't too big.



2. Heat a wok or skillet over high heat and add oil.

3. Remove chicken from marinade with a slotted spoon, reserving liquid. Add chicken to wok and stir-fry 2 minutes. Remove to a plate.


4. Add red bell pepper and stir-fry 2 minutes.


5. Mix cornstarch with reserved marinade. Add marinade and chicken to the wok and stir-fry 2 minutes with the peppers.


6. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle cashew nuts and scallions on top and serve over rice. 


This was really good. I will say for us that I will probably reduce the rice vinegar a little and either add more sherry or chicken broth. It just had a little too much vinegar taste for me. it made just enough for myself and my husband and a lunch for him also. We try to eat lighter in the evenings. I hope you will give this recipe a try. Sorry I can't remember the name of the cookbook where I got this recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment