Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Curried Beef Recipe

Here is another favorite of ours. I got this recipe from a book but can't remember which one all I do remember is that it wasn't a cookbook.

 This is everything that you will need for this recipe.
1 pound or more of beef, either stew meat or round steak cut into bite-sized chunks. ( I did mine in strips)
1 small onion, chopped ( I used dried onions rehydrated)   1 small apple. chopped
4 or 5 mushrooms. sliced ( We don't do mushrooms)   2 cloves garlic (or to taste), minced (not showing but used)   vegetable oil   1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional, I used)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard   1 tablespoon flour (you may need more)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper   1 cup stock (I used a teaspoon of beef bouillon dissolved in 1 cup water)
1 teaspoon curry powder (at least)  pinches of dried parsley, sage, thyme (optional)
1/4 cup raisins  1/2 banana, mashed ( I didn't one so didn't add this time)

 Sauté beef until well browned. Set aside.
 Sauté onion, apple, mushrooms, and garlic in small amount of oil.
 When tender, add turmeric, mustard, pepper, and flour, stirring with the other sautéed ingredients and adding more oil, if needed, to make a paste.
 When paste is hot and bubbly,
 add stock, curry powder, other spices if desired,
 and raisins, stirring to make a smooth sauce.
 Add meat.
 Heat gently until thick. Add mashed banana 10 minutes before serving.
Can be served with couscous for a Moroccan-type meal, or with plain rice. Even with noodles, if that's what you do best. As you can see I served it with rice because my family really isn't into couscous.
This is a great meal but I would advise you to eat it one setting because it doesn't do well reheated.
I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.
Until next time enjoy your day and keep safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment