Friday, May 24, 2019

Meatloaf Recipe

 Here is an old but goody recipe. I got this recipe from my mom. I think she got this out of a book called 100 ways to use hamburger. I grew up eating this. Almost everything above is what you will need to fix this recipe.  Here is the list of everything you will need to make this recipe. 1 pound of hamburger, 1/2 pound of sausage, 8 slices of dried bread, cubed, 1 medium onion, chopped fine, 1/2 small green pepper, chopped fine, 3 pieces of celery, chopped fine, 2 eggs, 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, parsley flakes, and sage to taste.
 Mix altogether. I always double this recipe. This time I was missing items so I changed it up a little. My mom never added green peppers because she doesn't like them. I didn't have any this time so I omitted them. I never use celery pieces but do use either celery salt or dried celery leaves. I also used bread crumbs and sometimes I use quick oats if I don't have bread crumbs.
 Here is my mom and I differ. The recipe says to shape into small footballs and my mom did this. I on the other always put the mixture into loaf pans. I also sprinkle the tops with Paprika. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours,
This is what it looks like after it is done. I served it with baked potatoes and baked squash. I am not a real fan of meat loaf but will eat it the first night. My family loves this meal and will eat it for leftovers. I really don't know why I am not fan of meat loaf, but this is the best recipe I have  used if I am going to make one. I hope you give this oldie a try and let me know what you think.
Until next time enjoy your day.

2 comments:

  1. Actually Mom got this recipe from a young Marine I met while I was going to Crypto school in Vallejo,CA in the 1970s. We roomed together in a motel while we were in school. He was an excellent cook because his wife couldn't boil water. He did all the cooking for us and this meatloaf was his recipe. He was an absolute football nut, hence the little footballs. They actually work great because you can easily pack them in a lunch bag. Now you have the full story. Oh btw you use as much Worcestershire as you desire. Just don't go overboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad I wasn't sure where the recipe came from. I forgot the Worcestershire sauce this time around and David noticed the difference first off.

      Delete