Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Pot Pie Recipe

 This is a recipe I got a long time ago from a little booklet I ordered through the mail. I no longer have the booklet so I can't give the proper credit to the person. The first thing you want to do is spray your pan with pam. And pre heat your oven to 350 degrees. I am making two.
 How much meat you use depends on how big a pan you use and how much meat you want. You can omit the meat if you wish. I have some left over pork here that I used.
 You want to cubed up your meat. Side note please make sure your meat is already cooked.
 I filled the bottom of my pan.
 I happen to use can potatoes but you can used frozen cubed potatoes or fresh that you have cooked and cut into cubes or sliced. The amount you want to use is up to you.
 I placed them on top of the meat. I did rinse my potatoes.
 I happen to have some left over corn on the cob so hae decided to add this to my pot pie.
 I have taken the corn off the cob.
 The corn is next.
 I canned up some carrots last summer and will be adding this next. You can use frozen or cooked some from fresh. I used the whole pint jar. I drained and rinsed.
 Next in the pan.
 Next I am using my last jar of peas that I canned last year. We didn't like them canned so I into the pot pie.
 I drained and rinsed.
 Last to go.
 For the broth you can use what ever you like. We happen to like gravy so that is what I used. You can use a cream soup thinned down or a white sauce. I didn't have enough pork gravy mix so I added two different types to go along with it.
 That means I need 4 cups of water.
 All into the pan to get it ready for the pot pie.
 While the gravy is cooking and still keeping an eye on it I am getting the items to make my crust. You can buy the crust already to go if you wish.
 You will need 2 cups of flour.
 Put it in a bowl.
 You will need 2/3 cup of shortening
 Gravy is ready.
 Pour it over the top.
 You need to make sure you have plenty of liquid because this dish can be dry.
 Now back to the crust. You need to add the shortening to the flour. If you want you can add 1 teaspoon of salt also. I didn't.
 You will need some water. The amount will depend on the humidity in your area. I ended up using almost 2/3 cups.
 Before adding the water you want to blend in the shortening.
 Now start adding the water a little at a time.
 After a while you will need to use your hands to finish mixing.
 This is what the dough should look like.
 Flour your board or use wax paper.
 You are getting ready to roll out the dough.
 This I never do well at but I patch it as I go and it still does the job.
 Not pretty but it is all covered.
Make sure you put some kind of vent hole in your pie. Also I would recommend you place it onto a cookie sheet before putting into the oven. Baking time will very. I bake it until the crust is own. Everything is already cooked except for the crust. It usually take about 45-60 minutes.
This is a great way to use up those leftovers. You can also freeze this. Freeze it before you cook it.
Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment