Thursday, July 19, 2018

Chicken Broccoli Rice casserole

 I got this recipe from a friend when I lived in Del Rio, Texas. The first thing I did was get my broccoli ready. I trimmed off the bad parts and cut of some of the stems.
 Pieces not using.
 I then put the broccoli into my steamer and steamed it for about 5 minutes.
 While the broccoli is steaming I start working on the rest of the casserole. I sprayed down my pans.
 I cooked about 4 cups of rice in my rice cooker. You can do it the old fashion way but I get better results with the cooker. Besides I don't have to worry about the rice and can get other things done while the rice is cooking.
 Spread the cooked rice into the pans. I just eye ball it.These two pans took all the rice.
 You will need some chicken. You can used canned, or leftovers or cook up some freash. I used leftover chicken and cubed it.
 I covered the rice with the chicken. We like a lot of chicken.
 The broccoli should be done by now. You can steam it longer but we like some crunch left.
 Now you will cover the chicken with the broccoli,
 Now for the sauce. You will need either one large can of cream of chicken soup or two small cans.
 Put this into a saucepan.
 Now you will need to add milk.
 I usually don't measure this but I did this time and I used 4 cups of milk.
 You only need to heat it through until the soup is no longer lumpy.
 Like about this.
 Pour this mixture over the casserole.
 Mix it into the casserole. You don't want the casserole to be dry.
 It should look like this,
Cover the top with cheese. Cook it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
I tried to give you the best measurements I could but my friend didn't use measurements.
This is a great way to use up your leftover chicken and rice. The rice can be cold you don't have to cook it fresh. I hope you give this recipe a try.

2 comments:

  1. this recipe has been around for that long!?!?!

    ReplyDelete