Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Making Lard

 This is the first time I have tried making lard. I had over 21 pounds of pig fat. The first step is to make sure the fat is thawed out if you had it frozen. We got the fat from the two pigs we ordered a while ago. Trim off any meaty areas. We saved the meaty areas for the dogs. We did cook it before giving it to them. Then I started slicing it. If you have a grinder that is the best way. Since I don't have one I had to slice.
 After slicing it I cubed it. I made cubed it small.
 This was one of three bags we received.
 My biggest metal bowl heaping with pork fat.
 I wanted to do this all at once so I used my roaster. You can use your slow cooker or even do it on your stove top.
 For every 2 pounds you want to add about 1/2 cup of water. I just added 5 cups of water.
 Into the roaster it goes.
 I cooked it on the lowest setting of 150 degrees for a long time. Low and slow.
 My roaster was full.
 The pork starting to melt. It took a long time.
 First straining.
 It was easier to strain into my measuring cup.
 Second straining. I poured the lard into canning jars using the funnel ,strainer and cheesecloth.
 Getting ready for the second straining.
 While it is still hot.
22 pounds of fat gave me three quarts and almost 2 pints of lard. I am storing this in my refrigerator. Some people can it but it isn't USDA approved to can. I did get some settlement on a couple of my jars so even though I strained twice doesn't always you will have clear lard. Oh well it was my first time.
Hope you enjoyed and enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment