Monday, July 16, 2018

crocheting plastice bags into sleeping mats

 This is another project that my chapter of DAR is working on for the homeless Veterans in our area.
The first thing you need for this prject is around 500-600 plastic bags. Any size and color.
 Yo need to straighten out the bags and fold in the sides.
 Fold them in half long ways.
 Fold in half again.
 Cut off the handles and the bottom seam.
 Cut into strips. You can measure to any size but you really don't need to.
 Now open up the strips you just cut.
 You will now be connecting them. First step to connecting is to loop one over the other.
 Now pull gently.
 You now are connected with a small knot.
 After a while you will need to roll up your plarn. (plastic bag yarn)
 To start your crocheting you need to make a slip knot.
 I used a size M crochet hook. Hook your plarn onto the hook.
 Now start making a chain stitch. YouTube channels will show you how if you don't know how.
 You will need to chain until you reach 3 feet.
 I am just a little over, which is okay.
 Now you continue on with a single crochet stitch. Again you tube it if you don't know how.
 You will need to chain one at the end and turn it around.
 This is a rough idea on how it is to look.
 I am trying to show you how to a single stitch. You will go into a chain and grab the yarn and then pull it through and then yarn over and pull it through both loops
 Showing you the yarn over. Sorry it isn't a very good photo. Again go to YouTube and type in single crochet and a lot of channels will pop up for you to watch.
 Here is the first row.
I made this just over 6 feet long. This took a long time to make. This took me almost 100 hours to crochet. That includes making my yarn and crocheting. This is the first time I have done anything like this. It was fun but took me forever that I didn't I would ever get done.
Hope you try this because there are a lot of homeless in every town and it will keep them warm and off the ground some what.
Until next time enjoy your day.

1 comment:

  1. Someday I hope to have time to make these. But that time is not now! Lol

    ReplyDelete