Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Peas and Rice Recipe

This recipe I got from a cook book that I borrowed from the library many years ago. I can't remember the name of the book. I just know it was about Thomas Jefferson so my children have nicked name this recipe the Thomas Jefferson rice. I did have to change this up a little but I will include the correct way to do this recipe along side my changes.

 For this recipe you will need 2 slices bacon, cut finely; 1 can peas; 1 small onion, chopped; 1 cup cooked rice; 2 tablespoons grated cheese; salt and pepper to taste. These are the changes I made  I used left over rice which was about two to three cups. Frozen peas that I had left over and about five pieces of bacon left over.  (Having left over bacon is very rare in my family). I didn't use an onion because I had other plans for it.
 I just used my kitchen scissors and cut up the bacon.
 Since my bacon was already cooked I had to put some bacon grease in a pan so I could fix this meal.
Here is where you would sauté the onion and bacon together until the bacon was crisp.
 I then put in my cold cooked rice and slowly warmed it up.
 I then added the bacon.
 Then the peas. In the recipe after you sauté the onion and bacon you add the drained peas, rice, grated cheese and seasonings. Since everything I had was cold I just slowly added each one and warmed it up first.
 I like cheese and of course added more than called for. You will toss together in the frying pan and moisten with liquid from the peas if needed.
This is what it will look like. You ca use this as a side dish or complete meal.
Here is the full recipe again just in case.
2 slices bacon, cut finely
1 can peas, drained but save the liquid
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup cooked rice
2 tablespoons grated cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Sauté the onion and bacon together until bacon is crisp. Add drained peas, rice, grated cheese and seasonings. Toss together in the frying pan and moisten with liquid from the peas.

I hope you try this recipe out. It is well liked here and I think you will enjoy it also. It is a great way to use up your left overs.
Until next time enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment