Thursday, February 27, 2020

El Paso Bean Recipe

Here is a recipe that I ate a lot of when growing up. I have a very basic recipe and will give it to you. I will tell you what I added and the steps of making this since my recipe doesn't have that information.

 My basic recipe is as follows. 1 pound of dry pinto beans; 1 pound lean ham, 1/2 inch cubes; 1 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon crushed Oregano; 4oz diced salt pork (optional); 1 cup chopped onions;  2 8oz cans tomato sauce; 3 cloves minced garlic; tabasco sauce. Most of the items are shown above. I forgot to bring out the garlic. I didn't have ham so used stew meat instead.
 This is just over 1 pound of stew meat. I  didn't cut it to 1/2 inch but did cut it into bit size pieces.
 Here I am browning the meat until a light pink. It will finish cooking in the broth.
 I also didn't use dry pinto beans. I had some pinto beans that I canned earlier in the year. I used three quarts. I also rinsed them.
I added everything into the pot. I rinsed my cans of tomato sauce and put the water into the pot. I also added 4 cups of water because there wasn't enough liquid. I put in some pork bouillon seasoning. I also added some black pepper. I let it simmer for several hours.
What I like about this recipe is that you can use left over meat and add or subtract what you do or don't like. I didn't have fresh onions so I used dried instead. If you like a tomato taste add less water. I will admit 4 cups of water was a little much but I do like my broth.
I encourage you to give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment