Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Crockpot Pork Carnitas

 This is what I made last night for dinner. This is everything you will need to make this dish.
 The first step you need to do is make your rub. 2 teaspoons of salt (optional), 1 teaspoon pepper, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon of dried oregano.
 You need about 4 pounds of a boneless pork roast. I didn't have a boneless one but this work. You rub the seasonings all over the pork and then place into the crock pot. I try to always use a bag because it makes clean up so much easier.
 The next step is you need to juice 2 oranges. Next time I think I will just use orange juice. I had juice squirting everywhere but into the pot. You also need juice from a lime. For this I did use lime juice. I added 3 tablespoons.
 When you get done with the juices you sprinkle the top with minced garlic. Use whatever your family likes. Recipe calls for 4 cloves minced. I used 1 tablespoon. Put the lid on and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
 After it has cooked for the 8- 10 hours you need to take it out and shred it. Place it onto a foil covered cookie sheet. Add a few tablespoons of the juice in the crock pot and sprinkle over the meat and then broil for 5-10 minutes just until the edge are browned.
This is how I served it. You can use flour or corn tortillas. My family prefers flour over corn. I served it with peas and macaroni and cheese.
It is a different way to serve pork roast and keep your kitchen somewhat cool.
On a side note I had to change Wednesday's meal around to leftovers because we got busy and I ran out of time to cook dinner before the boys had to go to their activities. until next time enjoy your day.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention where I got this recipe. This recipe is from Live Well Bake Often

    ReplyDelete