Monday, December 5, 2016

Recipe 3 and 4


This blog will have two recipes. I am trying to play catch up on what I promised to write.
The first one is Tangy Chicken Legs. I got this recipe out of the book Fix-it and Forget-it. It is a slow-cooker recipe. I use my slow-cooker about two times a week.  The second recipe is the scalloped potatoes from the Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Tangy Chicken Legs
8 chicken legs
1/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
scant 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup water

1. Place chicken in slow cooker.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and spoon over chicken.
3. Cover and cook on Low 4-5 hours, or until chicken is tender but not dry.
I let mine cook longer and just kept it warm until dinner time.

Scalloped potatoes
6 medium potatoes
3 T butter
3 T flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 cups  milk
1 small onion ( I used dried minced onions)
1T butter

Cut the potatoes into thin slices. Heat 3 T of butter in saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Arrange potatoes in greased 2-qt casserole in 3 layers, topping each of the first 2 layers with 1/2 of the onion and 1/3 of the white sauce. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce. Dot with 1 T butter. Cover and bake in 325 degree oven 40 minutes or in 350 degree oven 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender, 60 to 70 minutes longer. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Okay I did make some changes on the potatoes. I didn't precook my potatoes before slicing like the book says and I used dried onions instead. Otherwise I did follow the directions. I did have to cook them longer for two reasons. One my potatoes weren't precooked and I am at a higher altitude, so cooking takes a little longer. We like these better than the boxed stuff.

The vegetables were frozen peas and carrots from the store.
I hope this helps with ideas to fix for dinner. If you want you can add a recipe in the comment section for us to try. We like trying new recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment